u/d 16th Oct. 2014
The Royal Regiment of Artillery
"39 Regiment RA Club website "
> We Welcome ex members of the 39th Regiment RA,
Lads that served with the Regiment over the years <
We share memories
39th Regiment Royal Artillery
from 1947 till 2014.
Have a look around
tell us what you think ??
39th Regiment RA
the only surviving Regiment of the
3 original Missile Regiment's
24th 39th & 50th Missile Regiment's.
24th & 50th - are now in
The 39th Regiment RA is the only Active Regiment with
direct links to the 3 Missile Regiments which served in B.A.O.R Germany with the Honest John Missile & 8" Howitzer.
Visit any one of the
original 'Honest John Missile' (1960's to the 1970's
24th 39th or 50th Missile Website's below.
24th Missile Club
Webmaster is: Phill Perry, served with
Missile Regt RA
39th Missile Club
Webmaster is: Michael (Cabby) Hughes,
with 39 Missile Regt RA (1959 - 1967)
50th Missile Club
Webmaster is: Tony Todd, served with
Missile Regt RA
Visit the 39 Regiment RA of todays army at:
We WELCOME New Members to
'The 39ers Club' for 2013 & 2014
New Members for 2013.
Garner, (Ben) Lincoln, 36 Bty. 1960's (Joined
The 39ers Club March 2013)
Harrison, Hant's. 19 Bty. 1964 to 1967 (Joined 'The 39ers Club, March 2013)
(Tel: 01252 676 290) (Mob: 07762 494 940)
Watts, Grays, Essex, - (National Service Man), 1956 to 1958, 19 Bty. (Joined The 39ers Club, July 2013)
(Tel: 01275 378 847)
We Welcome New Members
Robinson (Robbo), Wigan, Lancs, HQ, MT, 1962 to 1972. (Joined 'The 39ers Club', May 2014)
(Tel: 01942 862 368)
Herbert (Herbie), London, HQ, MT, 1961 to 1967. (Joined 'The 39ers Club', May 2014)
(Tel; 02088 066 097)
Beardsmore, Telford, 36 Bty.
1959 to 1961. (Joined 'The 39ers Club', June
(Tel: 01952 274 957)
T Bevrley-Jones, (South Wales)
I wish to THANK one of our ex members of the 39th Missile Regiment RA, for there Very
Kind Donation received 24th June 2014. Name on Cheque is 'A T Beverley-Jones' he wrote: (A Donation towards your Website Costs,
from One of the Last National Service Man at Dempsey Barricks.) There were no more datails with the cheque - I myself can't
remember this lad - but Thanks again. (Do You, remember him?)
Richard F. Finch
have, Joined 'The 39ers Club', October 2014. Richard served with 36 Bty RA in the early 1960.
There a SPACE here for Your NAME !
Thank You, Lads for Your Membership Fees & Kind Donation's.
< See there contact info. on Our Database, on
Left < <
Ministry of Defence
Read the Gunner Magazine. for April/May 2014
There you see that 39 Regiment
RA will be having a march through - Newcastle, (Freedom of
the Town) on the 26 Oct. 2014 and later on the 31 March 2015 they will have
their Final Reunion at Albermarl Bks. Horlow Hill, Newcastle. NE15 0RF.
( More information later )
Click to: View the 39th Regiment RA website (MOD)
More about: To Day's: 39 Regiment RA
Comments - Please
The Comments you make about
this site are Private and will be read ONLY by Me - then I could take what ever action is required to Help in this matter!
If you served with the 39 Regiment RA over the years let me know than I can put your details on our NEW database. So your
mates that served with you - will be able to contact you. Our old database had over 1,000 contact details so lets double that.
We only live once! so lets get in touch with each other and remember the happy days or were they?
The 39 Regiment RA could be disbanded in 2014 - one of the last
of the group of Honest John Missile Regiments that served in West Germany in the 1960's.
The Western Front - Cold War - not just the weather - or the Beer.
'Oh' Happy Days.
My NEW e mail: email@example.com
As the 39 Regiment RA will be Disbanded in 2014/15
We planning a 'Fare Well' Reunion,
late 2014 or early 2015
No date fixed as Yet?
This will be run by 'Tony Todd' Secretary of
50 Missile Club RA.
(We are one group now:
24 Missile Club, 39 Missile Club &
50 Missile Club)
‘’The Honest John Missile Group’’
39th Regiment RA
is the only surviving
Regiment of the
3 original Missile Regiment's
24th 39th & 50th Missile
24th & 50th - are now in suspended animation.
The 39th Regiment RA is the only Active Regiment with direct links to the 3 Missile Regiments which served in B.A.O.R
Germany with the Honest John Missile & 8" Howitzer. 1960's era
39 Regiment RA - Final March Pass.
Tony Todd, is going to speak to the
RSM of 39 Regiment RA - soon )
View our 5,000 Pictures:
|' Click ' for Photos or words below.
View over 5,000 Pictures sent to us my Our Club Members - (( Click Here ))
If you have Photos taken with 39 Regiment
RA over the years and would like to share your memories with US.
Michael (Cabby) Hughes -
e mail him at:
39th Regiment RoyalArtillery
Click >HERE< link to: 39 Regiment RA website
( ! )
Click >HERE< link to 'The Journel' newspaper: ref. 39 Regiment RA
Give the MOD a shot up their!
Ministry of Defence
plans on disbanding the
39 Regiment RA
The future of Royal Artillery 39 Regiment based at Albemarle Barracks
in Northumberland also hangs in the balance as its soldiers are set to be disbanded by 2015.
- The regiment is presently
equipped with the Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System (GMLRS). They will be the first unit to deploy the new Fire Shadow loitering munition; training has already begun and they will take it to Afghanistan in 2012.
39 Regiment Royal Artillery have recently deployed Batteries on Op Herrick and have fired the first GMLRS rounds in theatre. The Regiment is based in Newcastle.
Under Defence 2020, this Regiment is being disbanded as no longer required
- 1947 – 39 Regiment RA was formed with the re-designation of 2 Medium Regiment RA. It was originally equipped with BL 5.5 inch Medium Gun and was first stationed in the Middle East and Africa. The Regiment left the Middle East in 1948 after an Emergency Tour to Palestine, where it deployed to Ayrshire and was re-equipped with the M59 155 mm Long Tom Gun.
- 1955 – Converted to a 155mm Self Propelled Regiment.
- 1958 – Deployed to Cyprus to support operations
against EOKA with batteries based in Episkopi, Dhekhlia, and Jophinou.
- In 1960 the Regiment moved
to support the BAOR, and was based in Dempsey Barracks in Sennelager for the next 35 years. Here its role was one of three Nuclear Regiments, and was equipped with
Honest John Rockets and towed M115 203 mm howitzer
- 1967 – 75 Battery was placed in suspended animation
and was replaced by H Battery(Ramsays' Troop) Royal Artillery.
- 1969 – the Regiment was caught up in the Coup d'état by Captain Gaddaffi in Libya, and the Regiment's 2IC was captured and held hostage, but later released unharmed.
- 1972 – Further reorganisation with 39 Medium
Regiment now using the M109 Howitzer and M110 Self Propelled Guns, and 132 Bty RA and 176(Abu Klea)Bty RA joining H Battery. The Regiment completed four tours of Northern Ireland over the next seven years.
- 1973 – Changed roles once more when it became
a General Support Regiment, and was equipped entirely with the M110 Self Propelled Gun.
- 1982 – 39 Heavy Regiment was joined by 56(Olpherts) Bty RA, 34(Seringapatam)Battery and 76(Maude's)Battery. H Battery was placed into suspended animation and 132 Battery
together with 176 Battery departed for the Royal School of Artillery at Larkhill.
- 1987 – 132 Battery and 176 Battery rejoined
the Regiment with the M110 Self Propelled Gun role and 56 Battery converted to a special weapons battery, equipped with the M109 Self Propelled Guns.
- 1989 – 39 Heavy Regiment took delivery of the
MLRS, and was given a year to convert, complete training and become operational. The Regiment deployed to Saudi Arabia
as part of 1st Armoured Division on Operation Granby. In a visit for VIPs it spectacularly failed to hit an island, during a demonstration of its firepower.
- 1993 – The Regiment was joined by 57 (Bhurtpore) Bty RA, who were to be equipped with the Phoenix UAV, and deployed to Cyprus, as the British detachment in UNFICYP. This tour saw the Danish and Canadian Contingents leave, with only the Austrians and the British left. Argentina then sent a force to control Sector One, the Austrians were in charge of Sector Three and the British in charge
of Sector Two. This was the first time that British and Argentine Soldiers had met since the Falklands war in 1982.
- 1995 – 39 Regiment left Dempsey Barracks, and
moved to Albemarle Barracks in Northumberland.
- 1996 – The regiment deployed again to Cyprus
in support of UNFICYP. The island experienced some of its highest tension along the buffer zone in 30 years, and two of the Regiments soldiers were shot and wounded by Turkish Troops.
- 1998 – The regiment deployed to Northern Ireland.
- 2001 – The Regiment supported MAFF, in the North-East of the UK, during the Foot and mouth outbreak,
- 2003 – 57 Battery deployed to Kosovo to carry out UAV flights, and this was followed in 2003 with the Battery moving to 32 Regt RA, which was reorganised as one of the Royal Artillery Surveillance and Target Acquisition Regiments with its focus on UAVs 74 Bty (The Battle Axe Company) joined 39 Regiment and it was formed as the only Depth Fire Regiment in the British Army. 101 Regiment is the Territorial Army Regiment of MLRS, and is based in Newcastle.
- 1998 to 2004 – 39 Regiment has completed several
tours of Northern Ireland from 1998, as the Urban Reinforcement Battalion. It continued to support operations in the province, until the
end of Operation Banner in 2007
- 2002 to 2007 – Soldiers of the Regiment have
deployed to Kuwait and Iraq as part of Operation Telic.
- 2004 – 35 Bty RA joined 39 Regiment after the disbandment of 22 Regt RA. The Regiment is now also equipped with GMLRS.
- 2007 and onwards – The Regiment continues to
deploy soldiers to Afghanistan to support Op Herrick
 Recruiting Areas
39 Regiment changed its recruiting area to cover Wales, and is now known as "The Welsh Gunners". Before this they were known as the Northumberland Gunners, and prior
to 1995 the Birmingham Gunners. 39 Regiment RA is based in Newcastle.
Info from Ex Gunner: Geoff Bradford, 6-7-2012, he served
with 36 Bty, 39th Missile Regt RA, in the 1960's
You are most
WELCOME to look around our website - tell your
friends about us.
website 1960/70's era
'The 39ers Club'
Please read info on right >
Site Up-Dated -
24 Aug 2014
I created this Website to try and keep alive the memories of all
the people associated with the
39th Regiment RA
over the years - 1947 to Date.
39th Missile Regiment, Royal Artillery
(Honest John Missile - 8" Howitzer Gun)
I myself served with the 39th Missile Regiment RA from 1959-67. That is why the site is called, the
39th Missile Regiment RA Website, 1960's.
But I'm covering all the years from 1947* to date.
( * See, 39 Regt History on left )
So if you served or know of anyone that was associated with the 39th Regiment RA over those years, let me
You are Visitor